School for Good and Evil Book 1

School for Good and Evil is a fantasy fiction written by Soman Chainani, an American writer and film maker. School for Good and Evil is the first in a series of four exciting books. If you like stories about friendship, magic, and romance then this is for you. Also it is a good family story.

The protagonists, Sophie and Agatha live in a little storybook town called  Gavaldon, surrounded by the endless woods. No one can leave Gavaldon unless the school master kidnaps you and brings you to the schools.  The rest of the story takes place in the Schools for Good and Evil, two castles — one white and shiny the other black and dirty, one for princesses and princes one for villains.

In the beginning,  Sophie and Agatha get kidnapped and are brought to the schools. Sophie thinks she is going to be brought to the school for good and Agatha evil but she was wrong. Sophie and Agatha are confused, scared, and disgusted.  Agatha starts to realize that she is good and Sophie is evil, but Sophie will not accept that she is evil because she has always dreamed of being a princess. There is a boy named Tedros (son of king Arthur) who likes Sophie and just like her thinks it was a mistake that Sophie was put in evil and Agatha good. Agatha and Tedros absolutely hate each other but in a tournament called trial by tale (only the best heroes and villains.) Agatha saves Tedros’s life when Sophie had sworn she would save it so Tedros broke up with Sophie and Sophie blames Agatha for it. There is a huge battle between good and evil in which Sophie and Agatha go back to Gavaldon not knowing the chaos they had started back at the schools.

The school for good and evil is a good book. I like how Soman Chainani took lots of famous fairy tale characters and put their kids in school. I also think it’s nice that he didn’t make both protagonists good because that’s how it is in most stories. See you next time. 🙂

One thought on “School for Good and Evil Book 1

1. Fantastic book review. I am definitely going to read this to my daughter. Very will written, you explained the story without giving too much away. You used great language, such as ‘protagonist’ and you instantly gained my interest with a great hook in the first paragraph. I also really like your sign off at the end, “See you next time”, it reminds me to check your blog regularly. Well done!